Sweet, yet tangy, full of flavor...this recipe just screams SUMMER to me! We make these every summer, and usually have enough to last us through the winter (this recipe makes a lot). This year, we didn't quite make it, so I can't wait to make a batch when the cukes are ready!!These are also great to have on hand when you get invited to a BBQ/party and have no time to cook something (got me out of quite a few pinches;) Using a mandolin makes the slicing much easier, and gets the slices thinner than cutting by hand.
- Combine sliced cucumbers, onions, and salt in large bowl.
- Cover with ice water.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 48 hours.
- Mix sugar, vinegar, and garlic together in saucepan and bring to boil.
- Let cool.
- Drain cucumber and onion mixture well.
- Pack in freezer containers and pour enough vinegar mixture over top to cover veggies (leave 1-inch space at top of container for expansion).
- Let thaw before eating.