Sweet, yet tangy, full of flavor...this recipe just screams SUMMER to me! We make these every summer, and usually have enough to last us through the winter (this recipe makes a lot). This year, we didn't quite make it, so I can't wait to make a batch when the cukes are ready!!These are also great to have on hand when you get invited to a BBQ/party and have no time to cook something (got me out of quite a few pinches;) Using a mandolin makes the slicing much easier, and gets the slices thinner than cutting by hand.
- Combine sliced cucumbers, onions, and salt in large bowl.
- Cover with ice water.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 48 hours.
- Mix sugar, vinegar, and garlic together in saucepan and bring to boil.
- Let cool.
- Drain cucumber and onion mixture well.
- Pack in freezer containers and pour enough vinegar mixture over top to cover veggies (leave 1-inch space at top of container for expansion).
- Let thaw before eating.
I have been using this recipe for two years. Sorry that I am just now getting around to a review. Obviously they are amazing!! And easy!! And delicious!! And amazing!!! Did I mention amazing? The first several recipes I made exactly as directed. The last couple of times I have sliced up jalapenos to give them a spicy sweet flavor. Simply amazing!! Now every family event we go to, I am asked to bring "the pickles." Thank you for sharing this AMAZING recipe. ;-)
Edit: I forgot to mention that once we eat pickles from a container that I keep the syrup for the next batch. I just stick it back in the freezer until I make the recipe again.
I just tried these and they are delicious!