Prep 48 hrs
Cook 5 mins
Sweet, yet tangy, full of flavor...this recipe just screams SUMMER to me! We make these every summer, and usually have enough to last us through the winter (this recipe makes a lot). This year, we didn't quite make it, so I can't wait to make a batch when the cukes are ready!!These are also great to have on hand when you get invited to a BBQ/party and have no time to cook something (got me out of quite a few pinches;) Using a mandolin makes the slicing much easier, and gets the slices thinner than cutting by hand.
- 25 medium cucumbers, washed and sliced very thin
- 8 -10 medium onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 5 -6 cloves garlic, chopped
- ice water
- Combine sliced cucumbers, onions, and salt in large bowl.
- Cover with ice water.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 48 hours.
- Mix sugar, vinegar, and garlic together in saucepan and bring to boil.
- Let cool.
- Drain cucumber and onion mixture well.
- Pack in freezer containers and pour enough vinegar mixture over top to cover veggies (leave 1-inch space at top of container for expansion).
- Let thaw before eating.
I have been using this recipe for two years. Sorry that I am just now getting around to a review. Obviously they are amazing!! And easy!! And delicious!! And amazing!!! Did I mention amazing? The first several recipes I made exactly as directed. The last couple of times I have sliced up jalapenos to give them a spicy sweet flavor. Simply amazing!! Now every family event we go to, I am asked to bring "the pickles." Thank you for sharing this AMAZING recipe. ;-)
Edit: I forgot to mention that once we eat pickles from a container that I keep the syrup for the next batch. I just stick it back in the freezer until I make the recipe again.
I just tried these and they are delicious!