This layered enchilada dish freezes well and has great flavors. If desired, you can quickly fry the tortillas for 1-2 seconds per side in 3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium heat before adding to the dish. Make sure to thoroughly drain excess oil after frying.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 -4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can green chili salsa
- 1/4-1/3 cup water
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 lb cheddar cheese or 1 lb monterey jack cheese, grated- less if desired
- 1 (15 ounce) can mild red chile enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can medium green enchilada sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons cream or 3 tablespoons milk
- 1Brown meat and onion in large skillet.
- 2Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In medium bowl, combine red and green enchilada sauces, sour cream and cream or milk. Whisk together until well blended and smooth.
- 3Drain meat and return to pan. Add dry taco seasoning, salt, pepper, green chiles, green chile salsa, and water. Mix well, cover, simmer for 15 minutes. Check to see that most of the water has been absorbed, but do not allow the meat to become dry. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- 4In foil and plastic wrap lined 9x13 baking dish, pour 3/4 cup of sauce on bottom of dish to cover. Place half of the tortillas in single layer on sauce. Top with half meat mixture, the sprinkle with cheese. Repeat tortilla/meat/cheese layers. Pour remaining sauce over layers and top with cheese. Cool enchiladas completely. Wrap and freeze.
- 5To serve, thaw completely and bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly and heated through.
- 6Serve with lettuce, tomato, guac, sour cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Freezer Friendly Beef Enchilada Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 706.9
- Calories from Fat 390
- Total Fat 43.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 154.7 mg
- Sodium 1882.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 43.2 g