This basic pastry can be turned into several freeze ahead rolls to be pulled out and heated for your or your guests! I warn you it takes a little time but you will have it stored and ready for use...and you look very accomplished doing it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a bowl, with a wooden spoon, beat butter and 1/4 cup flour until smooth.
- 2Spread on waxed paper (on wet surface) to 12 8" rectangle.
- 3Refrigerate on a cookie sheet.
- 4Heat milk slightly and add sugar and salt, stirring to dissolve.
- 5Cool to lukewarm Check temperature of water with a termometer (if necessary; should be about 105-115 deg).
- 6Pour into a large bowl and sprinkle with yeast; stir to dissolve.
- 7Stir in milk mixture, egg and 3 cups of flour; beat with wooden spoon until smooth.
- 8Mix in rest of flour with hand until dough leave side of the bowl (Ok, at this point you are wondering is all this worth a few danish's-- it is).
- 9Refrigerate, covered 1/2 hour.
- 10Turn out onto lightly floured pastry cloth; with covered rolling pin, roll into 16 X 12" rectangle.
- 11Place chilled butter mixture on half of dough; remove paper; fold other half of dough over butter; pinch the edges to seal. With fold at right, roll out from center to a 16 X 8" rectangle.
- 12From short side, fold dough into thirds, making three layers; seal edges; chill wrapped in foil, for about 1 hour.
- 13Repeat rolling and folding (if butter breaks through, brush with flour) seal egges; chill 1/2 hour.
- 14Roll; fold again, seal edges, chill, wrapped in foil for 3 hours or overnight.
- 15TO FREEZE: Divide cold pastry into thirds.
- 16Wrap each third in foil; seal, label and freeze.
- 17If desired, make up 1/3 into Cherry Pinwheels and 1/3 into Cinnamon Bear Claws Posted separately (Unbaked Danish pastry may be stored in the freezer for several months, if desired).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Freezer Danish Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.6
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 53.8 mg
- Sodium 141.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 3.8 g