Whats great about a cream biscuit is that there is none of that cutting in of butter or shortening, just pour in the cream and stir. Easy! From Cooks Illustrated Make-Ahead Recipe Cookbook. The only thing that bugged me with the recipe is that it calls for 4 1/2 cups of cream, most large cream containers at the store are 32 oz. or 4 cups, I wasn't about to buy another thing of cream, so I just used 1/2 cup of the milk out of my frig to make up the difference. It was just fine to me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- 2Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- 3Stir in the cream with a wooden spoon until a dough forms, about 30 seconds. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and gather into a ball.
- 4Knead the dough briefly until smooth, about 60 seconds, adding extra flour as needed if the dough is too sticky.
- 5Pat the dough into a ¾ inch thick circle. Cut out the biscuits using a 2 ½ inch round biscuit cutter. Lay the biscuits on prepared baking sheet, placing each biscuit about ½ inch apart.
- 6Gather up the scraps of dough and reknead them briefly to combine, then pat the dough again into a ¾ inch thick round and cut more biscuits; repeat this process for a third time. You can either discard any remaining bits of dough or gently pat them into rustic hand-formed biscuits.
- 7To store: Wrap the baking sheet tightly with greased plastic wrap and freeze the biscuits until frozen solid, about 6 hours. Transfer the frozen biscuits to a large zipper-top bag and freeze for up to one month.
- 8To serve after frozen: Adjust an oven rack to the upper middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees. Lay the biscuits in parchment lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart, and bake until puffed and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. If you have to use two baking sheets for a large amount of biscuits only cooking one baking sheet at a time.
- 9To serve right away: After cutting out the biscuits, spread them out over 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake the biscuits one sheet at a time, at 450, reducing the baking time to 15 to 20 minutes.
- 10*Can add 6 oz. of cheddar cheese that has been cut into 1/4 inch pieces, into the flour mixture for cheese biscuits.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Freezer Cream Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (1883 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.3
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 61.1 mg
- Sodium 253.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 4.1 g