Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Every summer we get an abundence of sweet corn. I like to cut it off the cob and freeze some to enjoy for winter.
- Mix corn, sugar, water, and salt in a large kettle.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir often so it doesn't scorch.
- Cool and put into freezer bags and stick them in the freezer.
This was so easy to do. I have the following tips:
1) use a cake pan or something with sides on it to cool it in...otherwise it's messy to bag up...it doesn't stay inside the cookie sheet because the sides aren't high enough
2) I had the best luck with a wide spatula...it scoops nicely and it's square so it fits the sides of the pan..and it scrapes the bottom well too
3) leave room in the individual bags for it to expand when it freezes
4) don't put it into the freezer until it has cooled or the temp of your freezer temp will drop
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe...and I will really be thanking you this winter! :)
My Grandmother in Indiana used to do this so there would be good corn for dinner in the winter. Its so good and it tastes so fresh compared to canned corn! Thanks for bringing back memories
Delicious! I ended up with 20 cups of corn so I used 3/4 c. of sugar, 4 T. of water and only 2 t. of salt and thought it was perfect. Faster & cheaper than doing it my normal way (with sweet butter & half & half). A keeper for sure. Thanks for posting!