Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A cool treat at a picnic. Cole slaw that is frozen until it is needed.
Make and share this Freezer Coleslaw recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 1 green pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups sugar
- Cut cabbage and onion.
- Mix with salt and let stand one hour.
- Mix the vinegar, water, mustard seed, celery seed, and sugar.
- Bring all this to a boil and boil one minute.
- Let cool until lukewarm.
- Cut up carrot and green pepper and mix with the cabbage.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cabbage, place in containers and freeze.
We had a glut of cabbage from our garden, so I tripled the recipe and stocked the freezer. This was very easy to make. The taste was great, can't wait to see how it is after the flavors meld even more. The mustard seed gives it a nice tang. Thanks for the recipe Darryn!
What is so wonderful about this recipe is that not only is it tasty but it is so handy. Store it in your freezer in portion size containers and you always have a salad ready to have with your meal. The difficult part is to remember to take it out of the freezer an hour before dinner - Thanks for a great recipe!