Recipe by ~jb4~
This recipe was submitted by a request for an Icebox Coleslaw. It is from Quick Cooking magazine. I have not yet tried this recipe, but it sure does sound delicious.
Top Review by Catnip46
This is really good, sweet sour taste. But it definitely needs more sugar it was to sour. I added more sugar to it once I defrosted and tasted it. Other recipes are calling for 2 cups sugar to 1 cup vinegar and this is how I will make it from now on.
I couldn't believe how crispy and fresh it tasted and I had it in the freezer for 3 months.
- 1 large cabbage, shredded
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium green pepper, shredded
- 1 small onion, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, green pepper and onion.
- Add sugar and toss to coat.
- In a saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, salt, mustard, and celery seed.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Coleslaw may be frozen up to 3 months, remove from the freezer 2 hours before serving.