- 1 1⁄2 lbs red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded (or thinly sliced)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer cabbage, carrots, bell pepper and onion in colander, sprinkling each layer lightly with salt; let stand 1 hour. Rinse well under cold running water, drain.
- Heat remaining ingredients to boiling in a small saucepan; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Mix vegetables and sugar syrup in a large bowl. Pack coleslaw in freezer containers or bag and freeze.
- To serve, thaw in refrigerator or at room temperature.