Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
Another one of my favorites from Grandma's Best-Loved Recipes. Biscuits that you make ahead and freeze so that you have biscuits any time you want them. I used these for dinners, sausage gravy and biscuits or whenever I am in the mood for biscuits with jam or honey. Preparation time does not include freezing time.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Tip: You can substitute soured fresh milk. To sour milk, place one tablespoon lemon juice plus enough milk to equal one cup into a 2 cup measure. Stir, let stand 5 minutes before using.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir buttermilk into flour mixture until mixture forms soft dough that leaves side of bowl.
- Turn out dough onto well-floured surface. Knead 10 times, roll into 8-inch square. cut dough into 16 (2 inch) squares. Place squares on baking sheet lined with plastic wrap. Freeze about 3 hours or until firm. Remove squares and place in airtight freezer container. Freeze up to 1 month.
- When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place frozen squares 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, Serve warm.
- Tip: To bake immediately, preheat oven to 450°F Place squares 1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.