1/1 Photo of Freezer Braided Nut Roll (Coffee Cake)
Lady Dancer's Note:
Originally from a Fleischman's Yeast cookbook, this has been a Christmas standard with our family for probably 30 years. Today I only make one recipe which makes 3 rolls, but when the children were little and funds were slight at Christmas, I would make these ahead in the freezer and then give them as Christmas presents for close friends. I would give them in the frozen state with a copy of the recipe for Christmas morning baking. If you like yeast breads, this is wonderful and not really hard. As often happens on Recipezaar, "don't let the length of the instructions scare you". They are provided for those who may be newbies at any kind of yeast baking and to share what I have learned over the years. Once you have mastered the technique, you can successfully double the recipe to make six nut rolls at a time. This year I served mine with Breakfast Overnight #61831 which is also ano overnight recipe. I hope you grow to like this as much as my family has over the years.
My Private Note
Yeast N ...
Units: US | Metric
- 5 1/2-6 1/2 cups flour (sifted if possible)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 ounces fleischmans active dry yeast (these come joined together in 3 packets of 1/4 oz each)
- 1/2 cup softened margarine (room temp)
- 1 cup very-warm tap water (120-130 degrees if you have a thermometer but I never use one. You should be able to hold your hand)
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups ground english walnuts, ground the finer the better
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 9 tablespoons melted margarine
- 1GETTING READY:.
- 2Put out the eggs and margarine a few hours ahead to make sure they are "room temperature" before you begin. (TIP: margarine MUST be room temperature, but eggs may be warmed by cracking into a bowl and setting bowl into another bowl of hot water and stirring until the chill is removed)
- 3Measure 6 1/2 c flour into large bowl and then separate out 1 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup from the bowl for separate additions. You may not end up using all 6 1/2 cups in the recipe. I try not to use all the flour as too much flour makes the bread dry and not as "yeasty".
- 5Mix together the filling ingredients, divide into 3 equal amounts and refrigerate while making dough.
- 6MAKING DOUGH:.
- 7Mix together 1 1/4 c flour, sugar, salt & yeast.
- 8Add margarine.
- 9Gradually add tap water & beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- 10Add eggs and 1/4 cup flour.
- 11Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- 12Stir in enough flour to make soft dough (it will be soft and pliable and you can handle it without it sticking to your hands).
- 13Turn out on LIGHTLY floured board and knead for 8-10 minutes (today I use my Kitchenaid with a dough hook for 3-4 minutes).
- 14Divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
- 15Roll one piece into a 9 x 15 inch rectangle.
- 16Cut into 3 length-wise strips (3 x 15 each).
- 17Spread center of each strip with filling.
- 18Seal each one to make 3 ropes.
- 19Braid the 3 ropes, tucking ends under.
- 20Wrap loosely with plastic wrap and freeze.
- 21Repeat the process (steps 14-19) by rolling out, cutting, filling and braiding the remaining two piecies of dough.
- 22When frozen, wrap each of the braided nut rolls tightly in plastic wrap and hold in freezer up to 6 weeks).
- 23TO THAW and RAISE:.
- 24Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- 25Let stand covered loosely with plastic wrap at room temperature 8-12 hours (overnight)until raised. Draft-free is better so I put mine in a unheated oven overnight for this step.
- 26TO BAKE:.
- 27Remove plastic wrap.
- 28Put bread in oven, set timer for 12-15 minutes and start oven at 375. (Bread will raise a little more during pre-heating, OR preheat oven at 375 and bake for 10-13 minutes. I've done it both ways).
- 29Top should be slightly golden - don't let bottom get too brown.
- 30Remove from oven and drizzle with glaze.
- 31Serve while warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Freezer Braided Nut Roll (Coffee Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.3
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 21.1 mg
- Sodium 167.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 5.5 g