1/4 Photos of Freezer Blueberry French Toast Casserole
1 hr 20 mins
A healthier twist on blueberry french toast casserole. You can make a bunch and freeze before baking for an easy brunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 slice French bread, cut into quarters
- 113.39 g cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 236.59 ml frozen blueberries
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml egg substitute (I like eggbeaters)
- 236.59 ml skim milk
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 59.14 ml maple syrup
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 14.79 ml wheat germ
- 1Spray-treat a baking dish.
- 2Arrange half of the bread cubes in the dish and top with cream cheese cubes. (this gets messy -- just try to spread the lumps of cream cheese evenly around.).
- 3Sprinkle blueberries over the cream cheese and top with the remaining bread cubes.
- 4Whisk together the eggs, egg substitute, milk, vanilla, spices and maple syrup. Pour over the bread cubes.
- 5Sprinkle wheat germ evenly over casserole.
- 6Cover and refrigerate overnight if serving the next day. If not, continue with freezing instructions.
- 7Freezing Directions: Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and then cover tightly with aluminum foil. Freeze. Freeze cooled sauce separately in quart freezer bags.
- 8To make the sauce (this can be made ahead and frozen or made just before serving): in a medium saucepan mix the sugar, cornstarch and water. (Do this before starting to heat the water -- make sure the cornstarch is completely dissolved before you start heating this!)
- 9Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes.
- 10Mix in the blueberries. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Cool before putting in freezer bags.
- 11To cook, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Remove plastic wrap from casserole. Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and continue baking 25-30 minutes until center is firm and surface is lightly browned. Warm sauce in microwave, stirring often. Serve casserole with warmed sauce.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Freezer Blueberry French Toast Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.2
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 92.5 mg
- Sodium 830.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 40.5 g
- Protein 20.1 g