Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is adapted from Sue Gregg's cookbook. This recipe goes together fast. Add fresh vegetables on serving day, based on what you have on hand... tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc. if desired.
- 2 cups rainbow rotini pasta
- 2 cups broccoli, fresh individually frozen
- 15 ounces kidney beans
- 2 ounces black olives, sliced
- 7 ounces artichoke hearts
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup newman own salad dressing
to add on serving day
- 6 ounces canned tuna fish, drained (optional)
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and cubed (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup other cheese, cubed (optional)
- Cook rotini per package directions.
- If using fresh broccoli, add it to the cooking pasta for the last two minutes.
- Rinse pasta (and broccoli) in cold water.
- Open cans of beans, olives, artichoke hearts and mushrooms and drain them.
- Cut artichoke hearts into sixths, or smaller if you prefer.
- Mix pasta, broccoli, beans, olives, artichoke hearts, mushrooms and green onions in a large bowl.
- Add salad dressing and stir to mix.
- To Freeze: Divide into freezer bags, based on the size of your family, and if youll serve this as a side dish or a main dish.
- Seal, label and freeze.
- To Serve: Thaw bag in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Shake the bag a few times before serving.
- Add any of the optional ingredients, stir and serve.
- Since this dish is served cold, and the pasta isnt re-heated, dont under-cook it.
- Cook it al dente per package directions.
- Some of the salad dressing will be absorbed by the salad while its frozen.
- You may need to add a fresh shake or two of dressing before serving, especially if you add any extra ingredients.
Not crazy about this one. It just didn't come out of the freezer well for me. I couldn't taste the salad dressing anymore and the texture of the artichokes and mushrooms really creeped me out-- and I don't usually have a problem with that. I give it 3 stars because I need to try it again with some alterations. The fault could have been mine.
This is excellent! I used a little less pasta and more veggies...just to cut carbs. It was a hit with the whole family. I've already shared this w/ other family members as well. I will be making this on a reg. basis! Thank you so much for sharing this keeper!