1/2 Photos of Freeze Ahead Golden Glazed Carrots
1 hr 5 mins
This is a very nice glazed carrot recipe I got from a Woman's Circle magazine. It includes what I think is a very clever way of freezing the carrots so you don't have to worry about defrosting; they can be baked right in the casserole you froze them in, without typing up the casserole dish in the freezer. And it's a technique you could probably use with many other frozen vegetables recipes. I hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- boiling water
- 1 1/2 lbs baby carrots (or regular carrots, cut into about 2 1/2-inch lengths, then quartered)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, zest of
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1Put the carrots in a saucepan and pour boiling water over them.
- 2Return to the boil and boil for exactly 5 minutes, then drain thoroughly and set aside.
- 3In another small saucepan, blend together the flour, sugar, salt and thyme.
- 4Add vinegar, lemon and orange juices, and orange rind.
- 5Bring to a boil while stirring until creamy.
- 6Add butter and cook for 5 minutes over very low heat.
- 7Line a casserole dish you'd like to eventually bake the carrots in with aluminum foil, cutting strips long enough so they can extend over the sides of the pan far enough so there is enough to eventually cover the carrots completely.
- 8There should be enough strips to cover the bottom and sides of the casserole completely.
- 9Add the blanched carrots to the foil lined casserole; pour the sauce over them.
- 10Freeze as is, uncovered, until completely frozen.
- 11Remove the pan from the freezer, fold over the foil to cover and wrap the carrots completely, and remove the package from the casserole.
- 12Wrap again in more foil, plastic wrap or freezer wrap if desired, and return to the freezer.
- 13When ready to serve, Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 14Spray the same casserole dish you used to freeze the carrots with non-stick spray, unwrap the carrots, and place them into the casserole dish.
- 15Bake, covered, in a 350°F oven for 25 minutes.
- 16Remove the cover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Freeze Ahead Golden Glazed Carrots
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.8
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.2 mg
- Sodium 376.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 19.2 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of