Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Quick and easy way to have chicken and rice (kicked up).Healthy. Edited 3/28 to adjust rice cooktime.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup white rum
- 1 fresh red pepper (diced)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion (diced)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cube Chicken Breast into bite size pieces.
- In a dutch oven, add olive oil and diced onions, cook over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add diced Red Pepper and Garlic.
- Add diced Chicken and cook until brown.
- Remove pan from heat, add Rum, return pan to heat.
- Add Ginger,Thyme,Cinnamon,Nutmeg,Brown Sugar,Salt,Pepper,Red Pepper Flakes,diced Tomatoes and Chicken Broth.
- Bring to boil, add Rice.
- Cover and simmer for 40 minutes. 20 minutes for white rice.
I used pineapple rum, increased cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, thyme by 1/8 tsp each and added 8 pitted prunes, chopped and 2 tsp tomato paste. I didn't add the rice, but simmered it until the broth thickened and served it over white rice. Great flavor. DH LOVED it!Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Just finished preparing this great, great dish. Wow~oh WOW! I followed this recipe to a tee, except for the following, slight additions. I didn't have Rum, (who doesn't HAVE Rum?) so I used my DH's expensive Scotch :) It tasted similar in this recipe, since it cooks for a while. I also threw in some olives, (left over from the weekend), and cooked the chicken breasts whole, (browned them in olive oil first) and those were the only changes, I made. Truthfully, I could just take a spoon and slurp up the "sauce" (not because of the alcohol! :) ) it is that delightfully, wonderfully, spiced. Not SPICY, just tastes like spice from the Caribbean! Ed&Theresa~thank you for such a remarkable recipe! I will use this often!
Made for PAC, Spring 07 ~ Very tasty chicken, but I did take MA HIKER's suggestion [no arm twisting needed when it comes to adding raisins!] & included 1/4 cup of golden raisins! The combination of flavors worked just great for me [understand, I LOVE RAISINS]! Thanks much for posting this recipe ~ Will be making it again!