1/2 Photos of Freekeh (Roasted Green Wheat) With Chicken - a Traditional Arab
Cookie Jarvis's Note:
Freekeh cooked into a pilaf and served with boiled and broiled chicken is a typical Arab dish served when guests come over. It is served on a platter, topped with the chicken, roasted almonds and pine nuts, and a yogurt salad and/or lemony salad on the side. Freekeh is pre-roasted so don't be surprised when the soaking water turns ashy in color.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the freekeh in plenty of water, it will start to absorb right away.
- 2Cover chicken with water in large pot.
- 3Bring to boil.
- 4Skim the scum off the top until broth is clear.
- 5Add two onions, cut in half, to remove any bad odors from the chicken.
- 6Simmer for another half hour.
- 7Remove chicken from broth. Set aside.
- 8Strain broth.
- 9Rinse freekeh, drain well.
- 10In a large pot, add olive oil to cover bottom and fry freekeh in it for a couple minutes.
- 11Add some of the broth, without measuring, to cover.
- 12Simmer slowly, covered.
- 13Add broth to keep from drying out.
- 14If you run out of broth, use water.
- 15Cook for an hour or more, making sure it does not get too dry.
- 16A half an hour before serving, heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 17Mix tomato paste, olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika.
- 18Put chicken on baking tray and brush with tomato/oil mixture.
- 19Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken gets a nice toasty finish to it.
- 20To serve, put freekeh on large tray. Top with chicken. Sprinkle with almonds and pine nuts.
- 21Serve with a yogurt salad made of plain yogurt, cucumber, dried mint, chopped green onions, and some salt to taste. Also, serve a salad of finely chopped tomato, cucumber, onion, green pepper, carrot, etc with a dressing of lemon and olive oil.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Freekeh (Roasted Green Wheat) With Chicken - a Traditional Arab
Serving Size: 1 (462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1273.3
- Calories from Fat 603
- Total Fat 67.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 195.0 mg
- Sodium 490.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.9 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 65.6 g