Recipe by Blue Peacock
This recipe is from Alton Brown; it comes from www.foodnetwork.com.
Top Review by bakedapple42
Thanks, Blue Peacock, for a Great recipe! FYI: if anyone trying this recipe does not have whole Allspice berries (or a spice grinder), you can substitue 1/2 tsp. ground Allspice for the 6 Whole Allspice berries called for in the recipe.
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried cherries
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of, chopped coarsely
- 1 orange, zest of, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄4 cup candied ginger, chopped
- 1 cup golden rum
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 ounces unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 cup unfiltered apple juice
- 4 whole cloves, ground
- 6 allspice berries, ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup toasted pecans, broken
- brandy, for basting and or spritzing
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dried fruits, candied ginger and both zests.
- Add rum and macerate overnight, or microwave for 5 minutes to rehydrate fruit.
- Place fruit and liquid in a non-reactive pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices.
- Bring the mixture to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool for at least 15 minutes.
- (Batter can be completed up to this point, then covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before completing cake.).
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients and sift into fruit mixture.
- Quickly bring batter together with a large wooden spoon, then stir in eggs one at a time until completely integated, then fold in nuts.
- Spoon into a 10-inch non-stick loaf pan and bake for 1 hour; check for doneness by inserting toothpick into the middle of the cake.
- If it comes out clean, it's done.
- If not, bake another 10 minutes, and check again.
- Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack or trivet.
- Baste or spritz top with brandy and allow to cool completely before turning out from pan.
- When cake is cooled completely, seal in a tight sealing, food safe container.
- Every 2 to 3 days, feel the cake and if dry, spritz with brandy.
- The cake's flavor will enhance considerably over the next two weeks.