1/2 Photos of Free Range Fruitcake
Blue Peacock's Note:
This recipe is from Alton Brown; it comes from www.foodnetwork.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup currants
- 1/2 cup sun-dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sun-dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup sun-dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of, chopped coarsely
- 1 orange, zest of, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
- 1 cup golden rum
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 ounces unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 cup unfiltered apple juice
- 4 whole cloves, ground
- 6 allspice berries, ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4-1/2 cup toasted pecans, broken
- brandy, for basting and or spritzing
- 1Combine dried fruits, candied ginger and both zests.
- 2Add rum and macerate overnight, or microwave for 5 minutes to rehydrate fruit.
- 3Place fruit and liquid in a non-reactive pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices.
- 4Bring the mixture to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and cool for at least 15 minutes.
- 6(Batter can be completed up to this point, then covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before completing cake.).
- 7Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- 8Combine dry ingredients and sift into fruit mixture.
- 9Quickly bring batter together with a large wooden spoon, then stir in eggs one at a time until completely integated, then fold in nuts.
- 10Spoon into a 10-inch non-stick loaf pan and bake for 1 hour; check for doneness by inserting toothpick into the middle of the cake.
- 11If it comes out clean, it's done.
- 12If not, bake another 10 minutes, and check again.
- 13Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack or trivet.
- 14Baste or spritz top with brandy and allow to cool completely before turning out from pan.
- 15When cake is cooled completely, seal in a tight sealing, food safe container.
- 16Every 2 to 3 days, feel the cake and if dry, spritz with brandy.
- 17The cake's flavor will enhance considerably over the next two weeks.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Free Range Fruitcake
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.3
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 67.6 mg
- Sodium 532.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 44.5 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
oranges, zest of