Recipe by Manami
This is Spike Mendelsohns's recipe who owns Chicago's Good Stuff Eatery. He is a Top Chef alumnus, Here he offers a new twist on a traditional turkey burger & this is lunch for four for under $10.00.It is very good and we enjoyed it thoroughly! :)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 cup canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 cup store-bought mango chutney
- 1⁄4 cup grated lemon zest
- 2 lbs ground turkey (don't buy the pre-packaged kind, ask for 2 lbs of turkey & then have it ground)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 multigrain potato buns, cut in half
- canola oil
- 4 slices white cheddar cheese or 4 slices sharp white cheddar cheese
ORANGE-GINGER CRANBERRY SAUCE
- fresh ginger, 1 piece (1-inch)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries or 2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, zest of
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the turkey mixture, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add celery, scallions and apples and cook stirring for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Put the chipotle chiles and chutney in a blendetr; puree until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl with the celery mixture, lemon zest and ground turkey; combine well.
- To make the patties, roll four 5-ounce turkey balls and form each ball into a patty.
- Arrange on a tray, cover and refrigerate while you do the rest of your preparations & cooking.
- Spread butter on both sides of buns; toast on skillet over medium heat till brown, 1 minute each side & set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add just enough oil to cover the bottom.
- After 2 minutes, reduce the heat to medium and place patties in skillet.
- Season patties with salt & pepper and cook for 3 minutes; flip and cook on the other side for 1 minute.
- Place a side of cheese on each patty and continue to cook 2 minutes more.
- Cover with lid for the last 30 seconds, to melt the cheese.
- TO ASSEMBLE:.
- Place a patty on bun bpttpm.
- Top with lettuce leaf, tomato,slice, onion slice and a spoonful of Orange-Ginger Cranberry Sauce. ;(.
- ORANGE-GINGER CRANBERRY SAUCE:.
- Put the ginger on a flat surface and pound it with the broadside of a cleaver or large knife.
- Place ginger and the rest of the ingredients into a large saucepan and cook over medium heat stirring until the sugar dissolves and the liquid begins to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Once it reaches the desired thickness, remove from heat.
- Discard ginger and cool the sauce.