Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found it hard to find recipes for fresh prunes (I have a tree) so I adapted a recipe and came up with this. (Australian measurements used.)
- 2 sheets prepared shortcrust pastry
- 60 g ground almonds
- 1 7⁄8 kg fresh prunes
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 deg Celsius. Line a pizza tray (or flat tray) with baking paper.
- On a floured surface place the pastry sheets on top of each other, then roll to a 36cm circle. Trim edges if needed. Lay over pizza tray - there should be a 6cm overhang.
- Sprinkle pastry with the ground almonds.
- Wash prunes then de-seed and slice thickly. Add flour and cinnamon to sliced prunes and combine.
- Pile the prune mix onto the pastry, leaving the overhang free. Fold the 6cm edge over the fruit, pleating where needed. This will only partially cover the prunes.
- Brush the pastry with the milk then sprinkle with the sugar.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until prunes have softened and pastry is golden and crisp.
- Serve warm, or cold, with rich cream.