Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
If you have all afternoon to cook a beef brisket, this is the one you want
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 lbs beef brisket, fat trimmed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Combine salt, pepper, paprika and oregano in small bowl.
- Rub spice mixture over meat.
- Heat oil in ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid, over medium-high heat.
- Brown brisket on both sides.
- Transfer brisket to a platter and pour off fat from pot.
- Add stock, tomatoes and bay leaves to pot and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Return brisket and juices to the pot and scatter onions and garlic over meat.
- Cover pot, transfer to oven and braise for 1 hour.
- Uncover pot and continue to braise for another hour.
- Push some of the onions and garlic into braising liquid surrounding brisket.
- Cook another 2 hours.
- Meat is done when the meat is extremely tender.
- Spoon onions, tomatoes and juices on top when serving.
Absolutely amazing! I've made this recipe several times before seeing it on this site. I've made it as written, and adapted it for a slow cooker (which is simple, given the combination of veggies and broth-I did add fingerling potatoes and carrots.) Either way it's a family favorite!