Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Most beef stew recipes are either tomato-based or beef-based. We prefer both flavors, so this recipe is a hybrid of several stew recipes that I've tried in the past.
- 680.38 g stew meat, cubed
- 29.58 ml butter
- 28.39 ml canola oil
- 118.29 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 (935.53 g) can beef broth
- 311.84 g can tomato soup
- 6 potatoes, cubed
- 15 baby carrots
- 3 stalk celery, sliced
- 59.14 ml cooking sherry
- 29.58 ml parsley flakes
- 4.92 ml italian seasoning
- pepper, to taste
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper in plastic bag.
- Add stew beef to bag; shake until all pieces are covered with flour.
- Melt butter in stew pot; add oil.
- Remove beef pieces from flour mixture and brown in butter/oil mixture.
- When meat is lightly browned, add remaining flour and onions to pot.
- Continue cooking until onions begin to caramelize.
- Add broth and tomato soup, making sure to scape bits from bottom of pot.
- Add vegetables, sherry, and remaining spices.
- Simmer on stove for a minimum of 2 hours. You can also transfer everything to a crock pot and simmer 4-5 hours on low.
Yum! I used leftover roast and this went together really fast. I used white pepper and we devoured this. Thanks Roggins for sharing a nice keeper. Made for Bargain Basement tag.