Recipe by Roggins
Most beef stew recipes are either tomato-based or beef-based. We prefer both flavors, so this recipe is a hybrid of several stew recipes that I've tried in the past.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 (11 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (11 ounce) can tomato soup
- 6 potatoes, cubed
- 15 baby carrots
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cooking sherry
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper in plastic bag.
- Add stew beef to bag; shake until all pieces are covered with flour.
- Melt butter in stew pot; add oil.
- Remove beef pieces from flour mixture and brown in butter/oil mixture.
- When meat is lightly browned, add remaining flour and onions to pot.
- Continue cooking until onions begin to caramelize.
- Add broth and tomato soup, making sure to scape bits from bottom of pot.
- Add vegetables, sherry, and remaining spices.
- Simmer on stove for a minimum of 2 hours. You can also transfer everything to a crock pot and simmer 4-5 hours on low.