Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a great bread recipe that I got from King Arthur Flour email. A sweet twist on cinnamon bread using Red Hots candies :) From their site: Delightfully spicy bread using Cinnamon Red Hot candies in place of the traditional cinnamon swirl. The pink and red pools of melted cinnamon candy remind us of freckles after a day in the sun. This bread makes excellent toast, amazing French toast and can also be made into cheerful and unique cinnamon buns. Cooking time includes rising time.
- 1⁄4 cup water, lukewarm
- 1⁄2 cup milk, lukewarm
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup red-hot candies
- Combine all dough ingredients except cinnamon candies and mix and knead together -by hand, mixer or bread machine- until you have a soft, piable dough.
- Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 45 minutes to one hour or until full and round. To test, poke dough with index finger approximately 1/2 inch deep. If the impression remains, the dough has sufficiently risen.
- Gently deflate the dough, and pat into a 8" x 10" rectangle. Knead in the cinnamon candies in 3 stages, using about 1/3 of the candies each time.
- Shape the dough into a loaf and place in a greased or parchment lined 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan. Tent the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 40-50 minutes. Dough should just crest the top of the pan.
- If making buns, divide the dough evenly into 9 pieces and shape into smooth, round balls. Place buns in greased 9x9" square pan. Tent the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 30-40 minutes. Buns will be full, puffy and barely touching one another.
- Bake bread (or buns) in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes (20-25 minutes for buns). If bread browns too quickly on top, tent loosely with aluminium foil. Place pan over parchment or foil lined cookie sheet to catch any drips of hot candy. Bread is done when internal temperature reads 190 degrees on an instant thermometer.
- Remove bread from pan and allow to cool on wire rack. Place rack over a piece of parchment to catch any drips of hot candy. Candy will set as bread cools.
Delightfully different! Made two loaves, the first as posted, and since we didn't care for those candies that didn't melt in for my second loaf I crushed the red hots a bit and even though it colored the bread a pale pink we preferred it that way. A definite keeped. Made for New Kids on the Block.