Recipe by startnover
These are great for halloween parties! We gave them out one year to neighbors and it was so much fun to see their reaction. If you want a twist, make a shorter version and call them Gobblins toes. Just make them shorter and use plain almonds for the toe nails. Sprinkle with dried rosemary "toe hair" and it's complete!
- 24 blanched almonds (halved lengthwise)
- red food coloring
- 473.18 ml warm water
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml yeast (scant)
- 1182.95-1419.54 ml flour
- 14.79 ml salt
- 29.58 ml baking soda
- 1 large egg
- sea salt (to garnish)
- dried rosemary (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a small amount of food coloring in a bowl and with a new paint brush "paint" the almond halves on the rounded side. Set aside.
- In a Mixing bowl place water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand for five minutes to let yeast work.
- Beat 1 c flour in till combined. Beat in salt and 3-1/2 c flour till combined. Beat till dough pulls away from the sides.
- Reduce speed and add 1/2c flour (if dough is still sticky add up to 1 c more flour).
- Knead till smooth.
- Coat a large bowl with cooking spray and put dough in covering with plastic wrap and put in a warm place to double in size (1 hour).
- Heat oven to 450.
- Heat 3 quarts water to boiling.
- Add baking soda.
- Lightly coat two baking sheets with pan spray.Divide dough into quarters.
- Work with one at a time keeping the rest covered.
- Divide each piece in 12 pieces. On a lightly floured surface roll pieces back and forth into a finger shape, ( 3-4 inches long) make sure to leave a lump for the knuckle.
- When all 12 pieces are formed transfer to boiling soda water.
- Poach for 1 minute, using a slotted spoon transfer to a baking sheet.
- Repeat till all 4 quarters are done.
- Beat egg with 1 T water and brush over pretzels.
- Using a sharp knife score each knuckle about 3 times. Sprinkle with salt ( and rosemary if using).
- Possition the almond nails into place and push down to secure.
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes or till golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- These are best if eaten the first day but can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.