Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This recipe came from Fran, a friend of my mother's, about twenty years ago. A nice butter cake, moist texture with a slight crunch to the edge, but the most important thing--do not skip the butter caramel sauce! Ingredients are correct; batter will be VERY thick.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutes!)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups chopped apples (no peel)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutes!)
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add to butter mixture.
- Stir in apples and nuts, if desired.
- Bake in greased bundt pan for 65-70 minutes at 325°.
- For sauce, heat sugar, butter and evaporated milk over medium heat.
- Add extract.
- Pass sauce with cake.
A nice thick doughy batter that rose well and made a moist cake with a crisp crust. I used an angel food cake tube pan and the baking time was perfect. Omitted the nuts and went with the rum butter sauce. This is a delicious old fashioned cake-I love it! Thanks!
I wonder if something (liquid) was left out of the ingredient list. I tried to make it exactly as listed, but added 3/4 cup evaporated milk because it was extremely dry with just the eggs--more like a crumbly dough than a batter. But, with the liquid added, it was a thick batter and baked up beutifully. We loved the crispy crust, and about half of group felt the sauce wasn't necessary, the other half loved it.