Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- 2 cups crawfish tail meat
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, cayenne
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 cups rice, hot cooked
- 2 cups fish stock (from heads and tails of fish or crawfish)
- Melt Butter in alrge saucepan over low heat; remove from heat and stir in flur until smooth.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes, until roux is dark brown.
- Stir in chopped white and Green Onions, Celery and Garlic; cook about 10 minutes.
- Add Tomato paste to fish stock; stir into Onion mixture.
- Add Tomatoes, Crayfish, Parsley and seasonings; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice.
This is a basic etouffe' and very good. You shouls also add every spice you have in the pantry. My wife combined Justin Wilsons recipe with Pickwick cafeteria in Baton Rouge and used all spices from each and it's a killer recipe. When she finds it again I will post it. She's afraid it was lost in a move to the middle east in 1989. LR Beckwith