Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Uncle Frank makes the best cream of crab soup! He luckily gave me the recipe... it's wonderful!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into medium dice
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 1 lb crabmeat (picked over for shells)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- In soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add potatoes, old bay, and mustard.
- Decrease heat to low, cook, stirring often until potatoes are barely tender (30 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Return to medium heat and stir constantly about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in half and half and milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook over med-low heat, stirring often until thickened.
- Add the crabmeat, simmer about 15-20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in sherry and parsley.
I made this soup for dinner tonight and it was delicious!! This recipe is rich and flavorful, and it is very easy to prepare. The only change I made was to add the crab meat during the last five minutes of the cooking time-- that way the crab meat pieces don't flake apart. Thanks, Uncle Frank and Chalsea!
I made Franks cream of Crab soup. It was excellent. The only change that I would make would be to eliminate the salt.The old bay seasoning was enough