Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This simple recipe was given by Frank Alviso, an enthusiastic fan of Mexican food.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups canned black olives, drained and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper
- Mix mayonnaise and sour cream in medium bowl to blend.
- Add olives, onions, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Taste, adding more hop pepper sauce if desired.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 and up to 8 hours.
- Serve dip with tortilla chips.
Well, when I started to put this together, I began to feel a bit worried about how it would come out. The finished product was absolutely delicious, however! I used half as much lime juice, because I had somehow managed to buy some very unjuicy limes. It still had a very strong lime taste, so I would be careful with adding more next time. This is really a unique, but absolutely delicious dip. As another reviewer mentioned, it has a very refreshing taste; it is not at all too heavy or rich tasting as so many other mayo-based dips can be. I have never had anything like it before, but I will be making it frequently in the future. Thanks for the great recipe!
I cut this recipe in half. I loved that there was little sodium and that all the ingredients were "real". We had it on a lazy Saturday afternoon watching movies with tostada chips. Reall refreshing and I will make it again for a party. Will add a chopped hot pepper I think.