Top Review by PaulaG
A delicious, warm soup for the cooler months ahead. I did adjust the recipe and cook the beans in the crockpot. I mashed part of the beans to help thicken the broth. Served this with cornbread and sliced fresh tomatoes.
- 453.59 g navy beans, dried
- 1892.72 ml water
- 709.77 ml beef broth
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 bacon, strips, cubed
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper, white
- 6 frankfurters, sliced (Note: Use the real Frankfurters in this recipe and not the hot dogs!)
- 29.58 ml parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight.
- In a 3-quart saucepan bring beans, water and beef froth to a boil.
- Cook for about 1 hour.
- Add carrot and celery and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- In a separate frypan cook the bacon until transparent.
- Add the onions; cook until golden.
- Set aside.
- Mash soup through a sieve or food mill.
- Return to pan and add the bacon onion mixture, salt and pepper.
- Add frankfurters; reheat about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle soup with chopped parsley and serve.