Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Vintage Southern Living
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 lb frankfurter, quartered
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 5 -6 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- Saute onion in butter until golden; add in frankfurters; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Chop tomatoes; add with liquid to frankfurters.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender; stirring occasionally.
I make this often and my family loves it. The recipe I usually make is called Frankfurter Goolash. Everything is the same except that the one I have calls for paprika, but I either put only a dash in (it calls for 1 Tablespoon and is add when you saute the onions & frankfurters) or I leave it out altogether. It's from a cookbook my sister gave me. Thanks for posting!