1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is posted by request-please read through recipe as there are some options in flavorings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 lemon, rind of, grated
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Praline or Krokant
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- 3Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4Mix in grated lemon rind.
- 5Sift flour again with cornstarch and baking powder.
- 6Gradually stir in butter-egg mixture until thoroughly blended.
- 7Butter and flour a cake ring mold and tap out excess flour.
- 8Pour batter into pan.
- 9Bake in the lower half of oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour-test with a toothpick.
- 10Cool in pan on a rack.
- 11Praline topping or Krokant----------------.
- 12Place the butter and sugar in a fry pan over low heat, and stir constantly until the sugar is lightly browned and melted.
- 13Stir in nuts and pour onto a greased or buttered flat serving plate.
- 14When cold and hard, crack praline topping into small pieces.
- 15Butter Cream Filling---------------.
- 16Over low heat, cook sugar, water and cornstarch, stirring until dissolved.
- 17Bring to a boil, and stir until mixture forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water-238°F on candy thermometer.
- 18VERY slowly, stirring constantly, in a very thin stream, pour boiling hot syrup inches.
- 19If you add the boiling syrup to quickly it will scramble the egg yolks-so pour in the thickness of a thread, stirring vigorously.
- 20Beat until mixture cools and is smooth.
- 21Cool completely.
- 22Beat softened butter into the cooled creme, adding your favorite flavoring, 3 to 4 tbsp rum, arrack, kirch or fruit liquor, or 1 tbsp vanilla extract, or 2 and 1/2 oz melted and cooked semi sweet baking chocolate, or 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts.
- 23Cut cake into 3 layers.
- 24Spread 1 cup of buttercream filling onto bottom and middle layers, saving enough to cover outside of cake.
- 25Stack layers and spread rest of filling on top and all sides.
- 26Sprinkle praline topping or Korant on top and sides of cake.
- 27Chill at least 24 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frankfurter Kranz (Buttercream Filled Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (1327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5544.0
- Calories from Fat 3387
- Total Fat 376.3 g
- Saturated Fat 185.1 g
- Cholesterol 2583.8 mg
- Sodium 3311.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 495.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.2 g
- Sugars 358.6 g
- Protein 78.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of