Recipe by Oolala
From Another Taste of Palm Springs. Frank says that this goes well with hot French bread and Italian red wine.
Top Review by nchastain47
This was sooooo good, I couldn't believe it! I used a 28 ounce can of peeled plum tomatoes in thick puree and also added some green pepper, fresh mushrooms and just a little ground beef. This is now a favorite in our home!! Simple to make and uses 3 pans - a skillet for the sauce and a larger pot for the pasta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 onion, sliced into very thin crescent wedges
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1 pinch oregano
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lb spaghetti
- parmesan cheese, grated, can use Romano
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frying pan heat olive oil; add onion and the garlic. Saute until brown and remove the garlic.
- Put the canned tomatoes and the liquid from the can in a blender and mix gently, less than a minute.
- Slowly pour the tomatoes into the frying pan. Be very careful because the liquid on the oil has a tendency to explode. Let this simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the seasoning, stirring well.
- In the meantime, put 3 tablespoons of salt into a 4 quart pot of water and bring to a boil. When the sauce is almost ready, put the spaghetti into the boiling water. Stir occasionally and when the spaghetti is almost done, pour in a colander and immediately transfer to a heated platter.
- Pour the sauce over the the pasta and mix a little with 2 forks. Sprinkle with some chopped parsley and serve. Sprinkle with cheese,if desired, on top.