Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A simple, typical Portugues chicken dish which I learned from my friend.
- 1 chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 lbs potatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, sliced
- 20 rosemary sprigs
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place chicken pieces, quartered potatoes and onion slices in a greased oven proof casserole dish.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with the olive oil and the UNPEELED garlic cloves.
- Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375 F and continue baking for 45 more minutes until meat and potatoes are golden brown and done and the garlic is cross.
This was a wonderful chiciken recipe.
I'm glad I have a lot of rosemary in the garden and for this reason I had to try this one.
It's a very easy but tasty recipe that I can recommend to all families!
I loved the way the chicken drippings flavored the potatoes. I followed the recipe exactly, and was surprised that the amount of rosemary didn't overpower. It was very nice. Next time I think I would peel some of the garlic, because I would have liked a stronger garlic flavor. I would also use just enough olive oil to coat and brown the chicken. With the chicken drippings, it was a little greasy. Overall, it was tasty and I'm looking forward to the leftovers. Made for ZWT 8.
This is a nice, simple dish. The garlic, onions and rosemary add a lot of flavor to the potatoes along with the juices from the roasting chicken. I didn't use nearly as much rosemary as called for- 20 sprigs is a huge amount of a very assertive herb! Instead I used 4 sprigs, each about 4 inches long. I think that next time I would add a little white wine or broth into the bottom of the roasting dish to give a little more of the yummy sauce for the potatoes. I also added some smoked paprika along with the salt and pepper when I seasoned the chicken- both for looks and for the yummy smokey flavor it adds. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT8