Recipe by andypandy
This is a 1922 Ladies Home Journal recipe. I hought I would post it before it got lost. It won a medal in 1931 also.
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 stale coconut macaroons, crumbled to fine crumbs
- 9 inches baked pie crusts
- 1⁄4 cup blanched and slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake your pie shell, and cool.
- Blend 1/2 cup white sugar, with cornstarch, salt, altogether.
- Stir in well beaten egg yolks and milk.
- Combine all in a sauce pot, and cook until thick.
- Add the fine macaroon cookie crumbs.
- Pour into the cooled baked pie shell.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and add the 6 tablespoons sugar, beat until stiff.
- Pour over pie.
- Scatter the almonds over top of meringue.
- Bake in an oven 300°F until golden brown.