Recipe by Ambervim
I had never know about frangipane until I read this month's Bon Appetit. I have a fig tree and am collecting recipes to use them fresh. I decided to just enter this as a standard so I can use it with whatever fruit is in season. I adore almond anything so this will become a well used recipe.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour (plus what is needed)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, chilled and diced (more as needed)
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups almonds, ground (this is the resultant amount)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 12 ounces fruit (Stemmed, seeded and quartered or sliced as needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk egg yolk and cream in small bowl.
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a mixer with paddle.
- Add 1 cup butter and mix on low until coarse meal forms.
- Add egg mix and blend just until moist clumps form.
- Gather into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.
- Butter tart pan.
- Roll out dough to 13" round on a lightly floured surface and transfer to pan. Press onto bottom and up the sides of the pan. Trim excess dough.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Bring half and half to a simmer in a small saucepan. Whisk 1st quantity of sugar, 1/3 of eggs and flour in a small bowl.
- Gradually whisk in half and half.
- Return to saucepan. Whisk constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Set over a bowl of ice water and stir pastry cream until cold. Remove from ice bath and set aside.
- Grind almonds with half of 2nd quantity of sugar in a food processor being careful NOT to take it to a paste.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and remaining sugar until smooth.
- Add remaining eggs 1 at a time, beating well between additions.
- Gradually beat in almond mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup pastry cream (reserve remaining for another use).
- Cover and chill until firm, about 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spread filling over crust. Arrange fruit (if fig cut side up)in concentric circles over filling.
- Place tart on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until filling center is golden and set -- about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely in pan on wire rack.