Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 (250 g) box vanilla wafer cookies, ground to crumbs
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted (to remove lumps)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons cocoa (make sure it is lump-free)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup white sugar or 1 cup icing sugar (for rolling)
- In a large bowl, mix together the crumbs, the first amount of icing sugar, nuts, cocoa and cinnamon; combine well.
- Dissolve coffee in boiling water, then stir in liqueur and vanilla into coffee.
- Mix wet mixture into dry mixture until all ingredients are moistened.
- Shape mixture into one-inch balls (depending on the temperature in your kitchen, you may have to chill mixture first to get them to hold together properly) and roll in either white sugar or icing sugar.
- Keep prepared balls refrigerated in a covered container.
- These will be great straight-off, but will improve if allowed to mellow for at least a day or two before serving.
This is quite good but needs more Frangelico, next time probably closer to Christmas I will make this again but with 5-6 tbsp Frangelico, this recipe is very similar to a rum ball recipe I make every year but distinctly different with the hazelnut flavor - Thanks Mystery contest chef who ever you are
These were tasty, but I found them to be much too sweet for our taste. I like that there is no baking involved, but they just didn't go over as well as I thought they would. We all liked the taste of the cookie, but just too much sweetness. Any recommendations for cutting it down a bit? Thanks! ~Manda
Lennie, made these this year for Christmas, just as you listed them. I thought they were excellent, not too sweet and with enough frangelico taste, but I guess to each his own. Thanks for sharing. They will stay on my Christmas cookie list. Tweeky.