Top Review by Bergy
This is quite good but needs more Frangelico, next time probably closer to Christmas I will make this again but with 5-6 tbsp Frangelico, this recipe is very similar to a rum ball recipe I make every year but distinctly different with the hazelnut flavor - Thanks Mystery contest chef who ever you are
- 1 (250 g) box vanilla wafer cookies, ground to crumbs
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted (to remove lumps)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons cocoa (make sure it is lump-free)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup white sugar or 1 cup icing sugar (for rolling)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together the crumbs, the first amount of icing sugar, nuts, cocoa and cinnamon; combine well.
- Dissolve coffee in boiling water, then stir in liqueur and vanilla into coffee.
- Mix wet mixture into dry mixture until all ingredients are moistened.
- Shape mixture into one-inch balls (depending on the temperature in your kitchen, you may have to chill mixture first to get them to hold together properly) and roll in either white sugar or icing sugar.
- Keep prepared balls refrigerated in a covered container.
- These will be great straight-off, but will improve if allowed to mellow for at least a day or two before serving.