Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 cups unshelled hazelnuts (filberts, about 1 1/8 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon chopped dried angelica root
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split
- 1 (750 ml) bottle vodka
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon glycerine (for thickness) (optional)
- 1 -2 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Shell hazelnuts.
- Coarsely chop hazelnuts and place them on a baking sheet in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place in an aging container.
- Stir in dries angelica root, vanilla bean, vodka and almond extract.
- Cap and let age for 1 month in a cool, dark place, shaking occasionally.
- After aging, pour through fine mesh strainer into a large bowl.
- Rinse out the aging container.
- Place cloth bag or triple cheesecloth inside large funnel.
- Place funnel over aging container, and pour liqueur through.
- In medium saucepan, combine sugar and water; bring to boil.
- Immediately reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar completely.
- Let cool.
- When sugar syrup has cooled, add to aging container, stirring well to combine.
- Cap and let age 3 months.
- After second aging, re-strain through cloth or paper coffee filters until desired clarity is reached.
- Stir in glycerine and food coloring, if desired.
- Let age 2 more months before serving.