Recipe by The Big Cheese
I've tried a lot of the potato salad recipes here at Recipezaar, but I keep coming back to my mother's recipe. It is simple, and it's the best. My father asks me to make it for him on a weekly basis, as my mother passed away years ago. I use Duke's or Hellman's mayonnaise for the best flavor. And I like to use the sweetest onion available so that it doesn't overpower the potatoes. Vidalias are the best when you can get them.
- 236.59 ml mayonnaise
- 236.59 ml finely chopped onion
- 44.37 ml tarragon vinegar or 44.37 ml white vinegar (is ok too)
- 9.85 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground pepper
- 14.79 ml sweet pickle relish
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1360.77 g potatoes, peeled,sliced and cooked
- 473.18 ml chopped celery
- paprika, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes and allow them to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, onion, vinegar, salt, pepper, pickle relish and chopped eggs.
- Add potatoes and celery.
- Toss to coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle with paprika before serving.