Recipe by Hill Family
Know alot of people that need some bran in their life? This makes 60, so share and share alike. The mix can be stored in the fridge for 3 weeks if 60 at once is too many for you.
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups flour
- 3 cups all-bran cereal
- 2 cups 40% bran flakes
- 6 ounces chopped dates or 6 ounces raisins or 6 ounces nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl mix baking soda, water and buttermilk.
- In a seperate bowl cream together shortening, sugar, eggs and salt.
- Add the cream mixture to the liquid mixture.
- Stir in bran cereal and flakes. Mix well.
- Add either dates or raisens or nuts. You can add dates/raisens and nuts.
- These muffins must be mixed and then stored for at least 12 hours before baking them. Be sure to store in an airtight container.
- Stir mixture before putting them in muffin pans. Bake 15-20 min at 375 degrees.
- These keep for 3 weeks in the fridge.