Recipe by al.andrepont_11930375
In an attempt to turn a salad we saw on TV into a sandwich for a tailgate party We came up with this…Grilled garlic Ciabatta bread slathered with a garlic mayo and peppercorn mustard mixture on both top and bottom and filled with grilled balsamic eggplant slices, arugula, roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil. Man that sandwich is reallly good…and good for you. Fran says you can taste every ingredient in every bite.
- 1⁄2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste
- 1⁄4 cup peppercorn mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, for basting (the good stuff)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted and peeled
- 1 loaf ciabatta, sliced lengthwise in 1/2
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup baby arugula
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the mayonnaise, peppercorn mustard (or any spicy mustard) and garlic in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate to let the flavors meld while you work on the rest of the sandwich.
- Heat a grill to high.
- Brush the eggplant on both sides with oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill until golden brown on both sides and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side, basting with the balsamic on both sides. Brush the peppers with oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill until charred on all sides, remove, place in a tightly closed paper bag and let steam for 10 minutes. Remove the skin and the seeds and cut the peppers into strips and set aside.
- When ready to assemble, slice the bread in half lengthwise and put in the toaster oven, cut side up, and toast until a light brown color appears it crisps up slightly. Spread the bread with the mayonnaise mixture on both sides and top the bottom half with eggplant, then arugula, then the peppers and then the cheese. Return this half to the toaster oven to melt the cheese, remove and add the basil then cover with the top of the bread, slice and serve.