Recipe by OzzieBabe
This is a lovely fragrant salad, perfect for those laid back summer lunches with a lovely glass of crisp chardonnay. The original recipe was featured on a fishing TV show here in Australia called "Creek to Coast". If you are not able to source fresh kaffir lime leaves you can substitute it with the zest of 1/2 a small fresh lime, also if you can not source fresh Vietnamese mint regular mint can be used just as successfully.
- 2 scallion bulbs, finely chopped
- 1 chili pepper
- 15 ml rice vinegar
- 15 ml lime juice
- 15 ml fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 500 g large shelled prawns
- 1 red capsicum
- 10 cm fresh lemongrass
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1⁄2 bunch mint leaf, vietnamese leaves only
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- 2 tablespoons shallots
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 560 g lychees
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the first 6 ingredients together in a small jar for the dressing and then set aside whilst you prepare the balance of the recipe.
- Peel the prawns and then set aside in the refrigerator.
- Deseed the capsicum and cut into large thin strips.
- Slice the fresh lemongrass finely.
- Roughly tear the washed watercress.
- Roughly chop the mint (leaves only).
- Drain the lychee and roughly tear.
- Fry the shallots.
- Gently toss together all the salad ingredients except the fried shallots.
- Pour over the prepared dressing, retoss gently and top with fried shallots just before serving.