1/6 Photos of Fragrant Steamed Mussels in Vermouth With Herbs and Shallots
French Tart's Note:
I love Moules/Mussels, plus they are low in fat and high in minerals, making them very healthy! This is my own version of the Traditional French Moules Mariniere. The vermouth adds a complex and sweet taste to these mussels, and the tarragon compliments the vermouth perfectly. These mussels really are fragrant - the whole kitchen is perfumed with the sweet and aromatic smell whilst they are steaming! Serve with good bread and frites (French fries) for a delicious main meal or luncheon dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 kg fresh cleaned mussels
- 150 ml vermouth
- 500 ml dry white wine
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 2 -3 pink shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Melt the butter with the olive oil in a very large saucepan (one that has a matching lid).
- 2Add the finely minced garlic and pink shallots and cook over a gentle heat until they are soft but not coloured, for about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the tarragon, parsley, salt and black pepper, sweat together for about 1 minute.
- 4Add the vermouth and wine and then tip in the cleaned mussels - give them a good stir and then put the lid on the saucepan and turn up the heat.
- 5Steam the mussels for about 2 to 8 minutes, this depends on the size of the mussels and if they are at room temperature or chilled; steam them until the shells have opened up.
- 6Serve the mussels in a large bowl with the cooking liquor poured over the top, and discard any mussels that have not opened up.
- 7Allow 500g per person for a main meal, with bread and frites.
- 8Make sure there is a bowl on the table to collect the empty mussel shells, plus plenty of napkins!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fragrant Steamed Mussels in Vermouth With Herbs and Shallots
Serving Size: 1 (646 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 623.3
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 155.2 mg
- Sodium 1489.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 60.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: