Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Parade Magazine, Dec. 16, 2007. Sounds good and I don't want to lose this.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup dried cherries
- Combine cumin, saffron and salt; set aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a pot over low heat then add the onions and wilt, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and carrots; cook 5 minutes more, sprinkling with the spice mixture.
- Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to mix well.
- Add the broth and cherries.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve hot.