Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 38 mins
Cook 18 mins
From; The Book of Curries & Indian Foods
Make and share this Fragrant Rice Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- Rinse the rice (put it in a strainer to make this easier), until the water runs clear.
- Put the rice in a bowl, cover with the water and set aside to soak, soak 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat the oil and toast all the spices for one minute.
- Drain the rice and add to the pan.
- Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until opaque and lightly golden.
- Add 5 cups of water (you may use the reserved soaking water, but I usually just use fresh water).
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- You may need to add additional water or cook a bit longer for the rice to get soft.
- When the rice is served, remind diners that the whole spices are for decoration, not eating.
we thought this was rather bland considering the great aroma that emanated while it was cooking. i also would have preferred a dryer texture, this seemed a bit mushy. i did cook it for 20 minutes and only used 4 1/2 cups of water