From; The Book of Curries & Indian Foods
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 basmati rice
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 16 whole cloves
- 8 black cardamom pods
- 3 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- some cilantro, chopped or in sprigs
- 1Rinse the rice (put it in a strainer to make this easier), until the water runs clear.
- 2Put the rice in a bowl, cover with the water and set aside to soak, soak 30 minutes.
- 3In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat the oil and toast all the spices for one minute.
- 4Drain the rice and add to the pan.
- 5Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until opaque and lightly golden.
- 6Add 5 cups of water (you may use the reserved soaking water, but I usually just use fresh water).
- 7Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 8You may need to add additional water or cook a bit longer for the rice to get soft.
- 9When the rice is served, remind diners that the whole spices are for decoration, not eating.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fragrant Rice Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.8
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black cardamom pods