Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe came from a book about the healing properties of food. The main healing ingredient is turmeric. I could not tell you why though. My recipe card smells of turmeric from when I make this recipe. I serve this with my Indian Lima Beans. My husband says this meal cures a sore throat. This is one of my all time favorite meals.
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed and soaked for an hour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a 2 quart sauce pan.
- Toast pine nuts until they are fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add raisins, rice, turmeric and salt.
- Add water until rice is covered. boil and cook until the water has mostly absorbed. Keep this up until the rice is cooked, about 25 minutes (almost like cooking a risotto).