Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
From Cooking Light. 409 calories, 9.3 g fat, 20.6 g protein, 63.4 g carb, 9.5 g fiber 13 mg cholesterol.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried red lentils
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon seeded minced jalapeno pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 1⁄2 cups hot cooked brown basmati rice or 2 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 5 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- Let the oil get heated in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion and stir/saute for 6 minutes or until onion starts to brown.
- Add in ginger and next 5 ingredients; stir/saute for 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups water, lentils, and salt; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender; throw out bay leaves.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add in green onions and jalapeno pepper; stir/saute for 5 minutes.
- Add to lentil mixture along with lime juice, cilantro, and garam masala; stir to combine.
- To serve: put 1/2 cup rice into a shallow bowl; spoon 3/4 cup lentil mixture over rice for each serving; top with 1 tablespoon yogurt for each serving.
My boyfriend and I really enjoyed this dish. It had the perfect balance of spice - not too much for me and just enough for him - plus it was easy to make. I used ghee for all the fats, but that was the only change I made. The only thing I would do differently tomorrow when I eat the left overs is serve the rice and the lentils separate, and mix at will, plus have a small tomato, cuke and avocado salad on the side to create contrast. Thanks!
I just tried this tonight and was delighted with the results! It was just what I was looking for light and full of flavour. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm thank you