Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From: "The Vegetarian Epicure" by Anna Thomas, first edition 1972. This book was a real find! It says, "This is a fascinating way to start a dinner, or even to end it." and "This is a very aromatic, potent liquid."
- 1 tablespoon ghee or 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 green cardamom pods, seeds from
- 1 quart orange juice, freshly squeezed
- Heat ghee or butter in a medium pot over low heat. Add spices and stir until fragrant.
- Stir in orange juice and cook slowly for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot, in small bowls or cups, with or without spoons.
I juiced the oranges in my Jack Lalanne juicer. Love the spices. I didn't double them, but like mliss29, I wouldn't mind more of them. I've never had anything like this before, kind of like a mulled orange juice. Thanks, Engrossed! Made for NA*ME tag.
I liked this and I will try it again. It seemed a lot like hot orange juice with just a hint of ginger, so next time I will try doubling the spices. Made for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #14.