1/10 Photos of Fragrant Moroccan Beef, Date, Honey and Prune Tagine - Crock Pot
French Tart's Note:
Tender chunks of beef simmered in a fragrant & fruity broth enriched with honey - a traditional Moroccan tagine at it's best! I cook mine in a traditional tagine & an electric tagine; but I realise that not everyone has one, so I have also tested this out in my crock pot; it works REALLY well and is better when cooking larger quantities. The meat becomes meltingly tender and the fruity & spicy smell transports you immediately to Morocco........on a magic carpet maybe?? Yes, I am waxing lyrical I know - but this tagine is a real winner. It's not particularly seasonal, but I do think that the colder autumn & winter months are a good time to indulge in this North African comfort dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs organic beef, trimmed of fat & cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb onion, peeled & quartered
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, peeled & chopped finely
- 1 lb carrot, peeled & cut into chunks
- 9 ounces canned tomatoes
- 4 ounces dates, pitted but kept whole
- 6 ounces prunes, pitted but kept whole
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 pint beef stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix (or 2 teaspoons cumin powder, 2 teaspoons coriander powder, 1 teaspoon ginger and 1 teaspoon turmeric)
- salt & pepper
- 2 ounces toasted sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 1Par-boil the carrots in boiling water for about 3 -5 minutes.
- 2Preheat the electric Tagine or crock pot to High.
- 3Heat up half of the olive oil in a large frying pan and quickly brown the onion quarters over a fairly high heat until charred & coloured well. Tip them into the crock pot.
- 4Add the chopped garlic & par-boiled carrots to the onions in the crock pot.
- 5Make up 1/2 pint of stock with a beef stock cube. Add the honey to the the stock & ALL the dried spices. Tip the honey & spiced stock into the crock pot & mix well. Add the cinnamon stick.
- 6Add the tinned tomatoes, dates & prunes to the crock pot - mix well.
- 7Heat up the remaining olive oil and brown the beef cubes in small batches to sear & seal them. As you finish browning them, add the beef to the crock pot.
- 8When you have finished browning all the beef, give the whole mixture a good stir & season with salt & pepper.
- 9Cook on high for between 6 & 10 hours depending on your crock pot's wattage & settings.
- 10Serve the beef tagine with fluffy couscous and garnish with the chopped fresh coriander & toasted flaked almonds. It also works well with rice too.
- 11P.S. Watch out for the cinnamon stick! We sometimes award the lucky winner of the cinnamon stick with an extra glass of wine!
- 12P.P.S. You can use dates & prunes which have not been pitted, they do tend to hold their shape better too, just warn your guests that they must look out for the stones!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fragrant Moroccan Beef, Date, Honey and Prune Tagine - Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1823.1
- Calories from Fat 1518
- Total Fat 168.6 g
- Saturated Fat 67.6 g
- Cholesterol 224.7 mg
- Sodium 325.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 36.8 g
- Protein 24.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ras el hanout spice mix