Recipe by wizkid
This is fron the Reader's Digest 'Soups and Casseroles'. I discovered after eating it that this is a 'healthy' meal, which to me is an added bonus. I have made this several times now, and can say it is a firm family favourite. It isn't hot, but has a wonderful spicy flavour.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil (or ghee)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 1 red chile, seeded and sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- seeds from 8 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 200 g Greek yogurt
- 18 ounces lean boneless lamb, cubed
- 2 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 225 g fresh spinach
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 sprig fresh coriander (to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (see my recipie on this site)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole.
- Add the onions, garlic and ginger,andfry for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden.
- Stir in the chilli, paprika, cumin,corianer, white pepper,cinnamon, crushed cardomom seeds, bay leaves and salt. Stir briefly over a moderate heat.
- Add the yogurt and 150ml (5 fl oz) of water.
- Add the lamb, mix well and cover the pan.
- Simmer gently for 1 1/4 hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach and chopped coriander.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring until the tomatoes have softened slightly and the spinach has wilted.
- Taste for seasoning and remove the bay leaf.
- Serve garnished with fresh coriander.