1/1 Photo of Fragrant Lamb Stew with Dried Fruits
2 hrs 23 mins
1 hr 38 mins
Delicious served over mashed potatoes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs lamb, cut into cubes from boneless leg of lamb
- 3 -4 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed through a press
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced or 1 teaspoon ginger, ground, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaf, minced
- 1 cup water, or more as needed
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups canned plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, good quality
- 2 cups dried fruit (mix of apricots, prunes, raisins, cranberries)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped and divided in half
- 1-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Heat olive oil in bottom of 4 to 5 quart heavy-bottomed Dutch oven.
- 3Brown cubes of lamb in oil, in batches, remove lamb to plate. Add onions to pot, scraping up brown bits and stirring.
- 4When softened, add crushed garlic; stir to incorporate, then add carrots.
- 5Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- 6Add curry, salt, pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, lemon zest, cayenne or pepper flakes, and rosemary.
- 7Stir to mix in well, then add water and wine. Raise heat and let the liquids bubble. Lower heat, then add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and the lamb cubes.
- 8Add dried fruits, the lemon juice, and the almonds.
- 9Adjust seasonings to taste, adding more water if the stew seems too thick.
- 10Add 1/2 cup of cilantro, cover pot, and place in oven for 75 to 90 minutes.
- 11From time to time, check stew, adding water as needed to keep it moist. When lamb is tender and dried fruits have softened almost enough to become part of the sauce, remove from oven and stir in remaining cilantro.
- 12Let stew rest 5 minutes and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fragrant Lamb Stew with Dried Fruits
Serving Size: 1 (526 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 690.7
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 120.0 mg
- Sodium 352.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 38.0 g