This is a Cambodian vegetarian recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, divided
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 slices fresh ginger (about the size and thickness of a quarter each)
- 4 green onions, sliced (white and green parts divided)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1Cut the stem off the eggplant and dice the eggplant into small cubes; sprinkle the cubes with salt and set in a colander to drain for about 15 minutes, then squeeze most of the liquid out.
- 2In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and water.
- 3Heat a wok over medium high heat and and add 1 tablespoon of dry sherry; stir fry the pepper flakes, ginger, and white part of the green onions until fragrant.
- 4Add the eggplant, reduce heat, and saute about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is cooked through.
- 5Add in the soy sauce mixture and turn the heat to high, cooking until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes; be sure to stir so that the eggplant is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- 6Make a slurry with the remaining sherry and the cornstarch; add to wok and stir until thickened; toss in green onion tops.
- 7Serve over plain white rice.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fragrant Eggplant
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 104.7
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1012.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 3.6 g